Decorative bowls are often among the most useful elements of tableware. However, they are also some of the most neglected ones. Most people don’t think a lot when buying one even when they finally decide to do so.
On the contrary, there are plenty of things to consider when buying serving bowls. That’s because all those things give the bowl certain features that make it useful for specific purposes, such as serving salads or desserts.
In this blog, we will talk about some types of serving and decorative bowls in terms of materials, purposes, and styles, as well as some tips to pick out the right ones for your needs.
Decorative Bowls: Which Material to Choose
Generally, decorative bowls are made using the following materials:
- Such bowls are cost-effective and widely used all over the world to store leftover food or serve foods such as cereals.
- Some versions are microwave safe but not suitable for ovens.
- Extremely popular and versatile bowls present in almost every home with the ability to serve nearly all types of food and drink items.
- Although glass is quite affordable, simple to clean, and feels good to use, it is a fragile material. It is generally microwave and dishwasher safe.
- An inexpensive variety of bowls found in lots of colours, designs, and patterns.
- This material is safer to use for children as it isn’t fragile. Melamine utensils also uplift the appearance of a dinner table.
- Melamine is not microwave safe but it can be cleaned in a dishwasher.
- Ceramic has plenty of advantages: it is tougher than glass, looks more attractive, and is even more versatile when it comes to serving food.
- Not only can you use it as a fruit bowl, but you can also turn ceramic bowls into ornamental bowls to suit your purposes.
- Ceramic bowls are both microwave and dishwasher safe.
- Bamboo is also quite well-used in utensils. It stands apart due to its biodegradable and eco-friendly properties.
- These are considered best for serving salads, but you’ll have to wash them by hand.
- Stoneware is perfect for everyday use as it is quite durable.
- This material has a unique appearance leading to different patterns and styles.
- Stoneware is safe for use in dishwashers and microwave ovens.
Fine China Bowls
- Fine china provides in grace what it lacks in strength, meaning it’s more fragile than glass but much more elegant as well.
- People often use bowls, serving trays, and utensils made from fine china as decorative bowls, putting them up for display.
- Fine China bowls are generally reserved for special occasions by many people.
- Earthenware utensils impart a unique look, feel, and taste to food that is cooked and served in them.
- Great for both serving and decorating, bowls made from this material are significantly durable and great for daily use.
Different Types of Utility and Decorative Bowls
From dry food items such as rice and appetizers to soup and gravy-based dishes, different serving bowls are ideal for different uses. Here are some tips to help you make the right use of the bowls you like:
- Salad bowls: Big glass or wooden bowls that make salads look more visually appealing. A salad bowl is useful as a fruit bowl as well.
- Rice bowls: Bowls with lids that are often included in dinner sets. These bowls can be used to keep any hot food warm.
- Pasta bowls: These are designed a bit differently in comparison with other major serving bowls. Pasta bowls are useful for any kind of pasta – conchiglie, elbow, fettuccine, spaghetti, you name it – and are styled to provide a beautiful appearance to your dish.
- Stew\Soup bowls: Used on a regular basis by most people for serving soups or soupy stews.
- Dip bowls: Small, palm-sized bowls with a distinct, curved shape that makes them useful for serving dips, fondue, and chutneys. They also make tables and countertops more attractive during special occasions thanks to their sleek design.
- Cereal bowls: Made mostly from glass, melamine, or ceramic, these are large and deep enough for a fulfilling bowl of breakfast energy.
- Decorative bowls: These are available in a wide range of shapes, colour, designs, and sizes. Moreover, you can turn bowls made from any type of material into decorative bowls for your living space – your creative genius is bound to make great use of these bowls to make your coffee table, dining table, workspace table, bedside table, or any type of table or countertop look stylish and beautiful!
- Storage bowls: These are sold with lids and are mostly made from plastic. They are available in several sizes to help store things to place in the fridge or on the countertop, but you can also use them as decoration bowls along with serving trays.
- Candy bowls: Give guests a conversation-starter with delicious snacks and candy served in beautiful candy bowls made from any of the materials mentioned above: plastic, stoneware, ceramic, fine china, earthenware, glass, melamine, or even bamboo, depending on your aesthetic. These are extremely convenient to place on any table or surface you want, too!